Thursday, May 31, 2007

waterfall weekend

I'm sure it saddened Pedro a bit, but last weekend was mostly a hiking weekend for me. On Saturday, we hiked up Cheyenne Canyon to St. Mary's Falls. The hike was beautiful and strenuous. The weather smiled on us until about halfway back, when the smile turned down and all we could say was, "What the hail?" That's the second time in a week I've been pelted by frozen bb's. I came away from the day a little wet and with a badly bruised knuckle, but smiling from the adventure.




(On the way up to St. Mary's Falls, this peak taunted me the whole time. It was far too late in the day to go past the falls, but I sure as heck was tempted.)


On Sunday, after church, we hit a trailhead that leaves straight from Green Mountain Falls. This one far exceeded my expectations, definitely one of those hikes that is less about destination and more about the beauty along the way. The trail follows a cascading stream and leads up a steep, shady, and root-woven mountain. In fact, I couldn't tell exactly which falls we were supposed to be looking for--that water was a-fallin' the whole way! This time I came away having bashed a different knuckle, and with a mystery rip in the rear of my pantalones, but again I was grinning like a kid in a candy store.



Key thought from the weekend? Thank God for waterfalls and shaded forests and unruly roots and granite peaks, and for friends to exlpore them with.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...oh I wish I could have joined you on this adventure...if you ever feel up to it again, let me know! :)

Chris & Ashley said...

I am so jealous! I would love to go hiking somewhere like that. Oklahoma is not known for beautiful hiking! I can't wait to take my boys somewhere like that...in several years...

Olin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olin said...

Friends ARE good. Blessed are those who take their friends on "death marches" and live to tell about it.

That second picture is crazy, like a wave crashing against the shore of the ocean.

Sarah said...

Jealous. Can't wait to be back in those mountains. Great photos too!